Saturday, July 30, 2011

Saturday... already?

Finally, a couple projects I can talk about!

I've been working on a baby blanket using a purple/green/tan varigated yarn for the past month or so. Recently, I've begun using darker/brighter/non-pastel colors for baby blankets and loving the results. It occured to me that new moms probably get sick of pastels after a while--so I ventured off into other color territories. This is not to say that I don't love traditional baby yarn--I do! (And have several very large buckets filled with pastel pinks, yellows, greens, and blues...) But it's fun to branch out and experiment a bit with color.

I wasn't too sure about the pattern I'd chosen, but by the time I'd completed square 30 or so, I figured I might as well finish it... and it turned out beautifully!
I absolutely love the scalloped edging--it's more elegant and a lot more involved than my usual crochet borders, but I think I'm going to have to use it (or a version of it) on other projects.

My crochet comes with me just about everywhere I go--church, Bible studies, doctor's appointments--anywhere I might be sitting still for an extended period of time with enough light to see my hands. And this project has garnered more compliments than any other I've worked on. I think it's the gorgeous colors in the yarn... Even though I've gone on a yarn diet and forbidden myself to buy any more before we move next summer (or until I've gotten through most of my stash, whichever comes first) I'm seriously tempted to head back to Hobby Lobby and buy up the rest.

Another project I've been working on is this: a pink jungle quilt! (Please pardon the bad quality of the picture.)
I'm discipling a young woman this summer (we're going through Elizabeth George's book A Young Woman's Guide to Making Right Choices) and she decided that since she was already hanging out in my house, she wanted to learn how to quilt as well. (It might, perhaps, be more accurate to say that she wanted a pink jungle quilt for her room and knew that "learning how to quilt" (ie: picking out fabric and having me make it for her) was the fastest way to that goal.) =)

We got most of the fabric for the blocks cut this week--we'll finish cutting next week and, if all goes well, start sewing the week after that.
The colors and fabrics are not what I would have chosen (I'm not an animal-print person in general) but that's the joy of personal taste! I get to work on a project I would have never made for myself! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

2 comments:

  1. would you have a pattern for the crocheted blanket & edging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pattern is from the book Heirloom Afghans, edited by Judy Crow and published by The Needlecraft Shop. It's a newer book--I found it at JoAnns, but I'm sure you could get it online. =)

    ReplyDelete